Is the Actor Considering a Political Run?
Happy birthday to Richard Gere, who turns 69 on August 31.
It’s been a busy year for Gere, who is currently shooting the BBC drama MotherFatherSon in London. And earlier this year, he tied the knot with his third wife, Spanish publicist Alejandra Silva, with whom he is reportedly expecting a child.
What’s more, Gere may be considering a very different kind of role: politician. Gere is being floated as a potential congressional candidate in New York, according to a recent Page Six report.
“Richard Gere’s name is being whispered about among Democrats. We’ll see what he’s made of,” Joe DeStefano, the mayor of Middletown, New York, told Page Six earlier this month.
The actor hasn’t commented publicly on the political rumors, so we’ll have to wait and see.
In the meantime, in honor of his birthday, we’re looking back at a few of his most memorable movie quotes!
1. “I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but if Jesus Christ lived in Chicago today, and he had come to me and he had five thousand dollars, let’s just say things would have turned out differently.”
—Billy Flynn, Chicago
2. “So what happens after he climbs up and rescues her?”
—Edward Lewis, Pretty Woman
3. “Look, I guarantee there’ll be tough times. I guarantee that at some point, one or both of us is gonna want to get out of this thing. But I also guarantee that if I don’t ask you to be mine, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life, because I know, in my heart, you’re the only one for me.”
—Ike Graham, Runaway Bride
4. “You. Looking out that window, right there. You could see it from the train. Every night, I’d come home from work and I’d look for you, your face…you looked on the outside the way I was feeling on the inside.”
—John Clark, Shall We Dance
5. “We all make choices, Adrienne. You chose that life, you chose that man. Do you even remember who you really are anymore?”
—Paul Flanner, Nights in Rodanthe
6. “You don’t want to die! You want to live!”
—Will Keane, Autumn in New York
7. “On my first day of law school, my professor says two things. First was: from this day forward, when your mother tells you she loves you, get a second opinion.”
—Martin Vail, Primal Fear
8. “I look at people’s thoughts. I try to figure out what they really mean. You do this enough, after a while people, they stop surprising you. I just want to be surprised, Mike.”
—Isaac Barr, Final Analysis
9. “You can kick me outta here, but I ain’t quitting.”
—Zack Mayo, An Officer and a Gentleman
10. “Now, Laurel tell me, from the bottom of your heart. Am I your husband?”